22/02/2013




Can you introduce yourself and describe what you do?
Hello! 
I'm Leelah MacAulay designer behind Sweet Danger, hailing from Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis. I specialize in hand dying and making silk garments!

How did you come up with the name "Sweet Danger" and what does it stand for / represent?
Sweet Danger represents my roots and my aspirations. 
The MacAulay clan motto is “Dulce Periculum” or Danger is Sweet. To me it represents a clan that were not afraid to explore new lands and experience new surroundings. I aim to put that same spirit into my designs!

Can you describe a typical wearer of a "Sweet Danger" piece?
Someone who enjoys colour, texture and individuality!

What is a typical day like for you?
Depending on the weather I will usually be outside dying up silk or indoors mixing up colours and designing. 
I am currently working on a couple of one off Harris Tweed dresses also so will be excited to see them finished!

Who or what inspires you?
Definitely my surroundings it is so beautiful around the Island there's always somewhere new to explore and be inspired by. 

What do you most enjoy about the work you do?
I love playing with colour and textures and designing - of course! seeing a design come to life is always an exciting moment too!

What piece of work have you been most proud of so far?
I would say my entry for the Scotland Re:designed with Mandors competition. My dress along with four others were chosen to exhibit with Mandors. It was an excellent showcase aimed at giving a platform for new Scottish fashion designers, manufacturers and textile companies. 

What has been the biggest challenge been so far?
Relocating back to Lewis has had its challenges, not being able to nip out to the shops for fabric and zips and little things like that!

Last of all what's in store for the future of "Sweet Danger."
The website will be up and running soon so I'm very excited about that its been a long time coming!

Images of the House of Danger's S/S 13 collection was created with the help of:
Photographer:Anette SchiveModel: Jude Tsang
MUA: Emma Motion


House of Danger are currently working on their website but you can find out more by Liking their Facebook page:
www.facebook.com/HouseofDanger

or Follow on them on Twitter:
@HouseofDanger

No comments:

Post a Comment